On December 4th I posted this post [Mount up and move out. The enemy is that way… Productivity and the paint station] covering the use of Kanban. In particular the use of a free piece of software called ‘Kanban flow’ to help manage my hobby progress, because, you know, I would like to get my army completely painted.
Since then I have painted
- The crisis suit weapons and accessories
- The optional weapons for the riptides
- The Shielded missile drones for the riptides
- I repainted the Crisis suit Shas’vre to match the other suits.
- 6 vespid
- 12 gun drones for the crisis suits
- Commander SHAS’O R’MYR and Commander SHAS’O R’ALAI
- Renegade command squad, Renegade guard x10, and Leman Russ Vanquisher
- 2x Devilfish
- Eldar Avatar of Khaine
- Commander Farsight
So in 4 months I have painted 45 models (1588 pts without any upgrades), 3 of which were vehicles. Granted many of these, like the drones and the Renegade Guardsmen, were painted in batches so I could get through them quickly.
The process of Kanban has helped to visualise what I needed to do and what I had achieved. Though there were a few weeks where I lost motivation, it helped to be able to see the end of the tunnel.
Tonight I finished Commander Farsight and I am quite pleased with the results. Though I can see areas that with time as I learn new skills could be done better. I went over the sword again to tidy it up a bit more and then applied some weathering so that he fits into the rest of my ‘Dirty’ Tau.
For your enjoyment, I also animated the shots so that you can see him all the way round.
In the last week I have been working on my Tau Commander Farsight. As a certerpiece model, I really wanted to get it to a high standard, and as a result I tried out a few different techniques. Such as Pattern Tinting which I attempted by following a video by Chug from the wargamers consortium and more recently I came across this tweet by @cactusstudios1 that tempted me to re-do the sword.
Found this on Facebook. The guy that did this is amazing. I want to be this skilled. pic.twitter.com/1XemZkC13d
— #WFM CactusStudios (@cactusstudios1) March 29, 2014
Here’s my first attempt, I’m still not happy with it, but I didn’t expect to be as good as this guy on the first try.
Following this diversion, I will probably go back and tidy this up a bit, but I really only have the weathering to complete so I can put this guy to the side and start on the next thing. I really need to have something for my army’s heavy support section, I’m thinking some hammerheads might do the trick.
There has been little progress since my last update on Monday. I have completed the base, and I have painted the Dawn blade with the base colours, it still needs edge highlighting and glitter points.
Also I have started work on the golden sections of the blade and armour. Fortunately with these parts done it is still looking promising for completion by next Monday.
This week I am continuing work on my Commander Farsight. I have nearly completed the base and have begin the process of pattern tinting the model itself. The technique I am using is very similar to the one used in the video by Chung from The Wargamers Consortium How to Paint a Tau XV-8 Crisis Suit Using Pattern Tinting.
Except in my case I used metallics. Vallejo black metal base, then Vallejo Steel, and finally Citadel Bloodletter Glaze. This left a matt effect which I then applied a varnish to protect it. There is still quite a bit of work to be done, hopefully this guy will be closer to being finished by next Monday.
Last night the Eldar Avarar of Khaine that I had painted sold for £13.50, making a profit of £9.10. I am quite pleased with this, as the profit alone is more than double what I paid for the item. All I have to do now is to wait on payment and it will be winging its way to its new owner.